Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Know Thy Machine

Shruti at 13 Woodhouse Road is hosting a Know Thy Machine Blog Hop (beginning post here) and I thought it would be fun to participate!
 
 
1. What machine(s) do you have? Brand and Model.
I have a Bernina 440QE and I also have a 1960's Singer (no idea on the model....)
 

2. When and where did you buy it? What were the reasons for selecting this(these) particular model(s). What was its approximate cost. 

I bought the Bernina approximately 2 1/2 years ago at a LQS.  I have to be honest and say that I didn't really do a lot of research.  I knew I wanted a quality machine (since my mom had always had a quality machine).  The ladies in this particular shop were very nice to me. 

I asked about a couple machines and the different features, brought home a brochure, and went back a time or two to browse.  I hemmed and hawed, mentally,  and talked to my husband about the differences/prices. I went to the shop to buy a "lower" level machine {... less expensive} (almost turned around and came home at one point from nearly talking myself out of the purchase) and then ended up coming home with my 440. 

The two features that I really wanted were the stitch regulator and the walking foot.  When I bought my machine, both of these things were "included" in the price.  They were also running a promotion where I was able to get a "free" serger when I bought that particular sewing machine.  I paid more for this sewing machine than I paid for the first car I bought!

The Singer machine that I have was my grandma's sewing machine.  It was given to me after my grandma passed away, since I was didn't have a machine.  The machine still works well, especially for its age.  I'm sure when my grandma bought it, it was a top of the line machine.

3. What do you like about your machine? Have you named it? Have you made a cover for it?

There are so many things that I like about my machine. I like the fact that I don't typically have any tension issues with my machine and I have this cool foot that makes it very nice to do top stitching/edge stitching.  I think the foot is actually for blind hemming or something, but it works well for this, too! I also like the automatic needle down function (although I wish I didn't have to set it every time I turn the machine one!)  I also like the needle threader! 

My machine is named Bettina Bernina and she does not have a cover.

4. Does your machine give you any problems? Could you tell us a few?

To date, I have not had any real problems with my machine.


5. What do you sew on it mainly? Quilts, Clothes, Bags etc. How much time do you spend sewing on it? What are the features of the machine that help you improve your work? 

I sew everything on my machine.  I've made some quilts, lots of bags and pouches and some clothes, too.

It depends on what the week is like, how much sewing I do.  Some weeks I don't manage to do any sewing and some weeks I sew an hour or two every day. 

I think that the walking foot is a great feature that helps me when I am bag making or even when I am straight line quilting.  I love that it helps decrease the shifting of fabrics.

6. What advice would you give others when deciding about which machine to buy?

Think about the features that you will actually use (not just the ones that you think you will use ore that seem "cool") , how much time you spend sewing,  and how much you can afford to spend.  Then, price some machines to see what meets your requirements and maybe try those machines to see which one you like best.

7. Will you share with us a special memory associated with your machine?

I think this memory counts more as scary rather than special....  When I had only had my machine a little over a year, one evening I heard my husband yelling at/chastising the dog (We have a 70 lb. female Siberian Husky)...and then I heard a loud crash!  The dog had walked under the kitchen table where I frequently have my sewing machine set up.  She got tangled in the cords and then I think that  my husband yelling just made the situation worse...and she pulled the machine (which is heavy!) off and onto the floor.  I quickly plugged it in and just attempted a few stitches to see if it would run ... and it did.  Then, the next day I took it in to my LQS to have it checked out and also have a good cleaning while it was there.  Thankfully, there was no major damage.  My casing was cracked and my plastic "table" was cracked, but those things were just superficial.  The moral of this story is that I always unplug the cords now when I am done sewing!

8. If you had unlimited resources in the world, which machine would you choose to buy and why?

I'm not really sure.  I'm pretty happy with my machine at this point.  Plus, I don't have any space in my home for another machine!  Of course, I wouldn't mind trying a mid or long arm machine.



2 comments:

AEK said...

Love your machine's name! I don't sew but I have always wanted to learn. It is also neat that you have your grandmother's machine. My sister has our grandmother's as well (Singer).

emedoodle said...

Awesome! I love hearing about people's machines! :) Thanks for playing along!